The village of Port Eynon with the hamlets of Overton and Scurlage
Port Eynon is the most southerly point on Gower and is thought to be named after an Eleventh Century Welsh Prince, Eynon. It is believed that he built Port Eynon castle which has disappeared over the years. Once there was a booming trade in Oyster fishing (the remains of the Oyster Pools and the old harbour wall can be seen at low tide), limestone quarrying, lobstering and crabbing, but as with many little ports also came reports of smuggling. At one stage, it is thought that eight excise men were stationed in the village alone. At the far end of Port Eynon Bay stands the Eighteenth Century ruin of the old Salt House. Originally extracting salt from the sea, (the sea in Port Eynon has an especially high salinity) it is thought that the business was run as a cover for smuggled goods. Maybe this theory is not too far fetched when you consider that most of the local population of the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries appeared to have been involved in smuggling. On one notable occasion, the goods were hidden in the church! In the churchyard, is a memorial to the three lifeboat crew who lost their lives at sea in 1916. The lifeboat station was closed in 1919, when it was considered too dangerous to be located in Port Eynon. A new lifeboat station was opened in Horton in 1968. Below the cliff where the castle is once believed to have stood, is Culver Hole. This rather unusual cave, between two rock faces has a masonry wall. There is a staircase inside that leads up to four floors. Legend links it to the castle and also as a safe hideaway for contraband, but today it is inhabited by pigeons and seagulls.
The village of Horton is located at the Eastern end of the bay.
Super one bedroom first floor seaside apartment tucked away in a quiet part of Port Eynon and only 3 minutes walk to the award winning beach. Double bedroom, fab shower room, private balcony and patio, wifi, off road parking for one car. 1 dog by arrangement.
Berry Hall “The Cottage is an annexe attached to the 18th Century Gower House ‘Berry Hall’ and tucked away in the peaceful hamlet of Berry, you are just 10 minutes’ drive from the award winning beaches of Port Eynon, Rhossili and Oxwich.
Berry Hall Garden cottage offers detached contemporary cottage style accommodation situated in the hamlet of Berry. Sleeping 4 people in two double bedrooms, with 2 bathrooms and open plan kitchen /living area and surrounded by ancient footpaths in the heart of South Gower it a perfect location to explore Gower from.
Beynon Cottage is newly built, completed in April 2011, to a high standard. It sleeps 4 in comfort, and is situated in the heart of Port Eynon village just a two minute level walk to Port Eynon’s award winning sheltered, south facing, blue flag beach and the Ship pub
Lovely traditional cottage, 2 min walk from award-winning sandy beach. Sleeps 4, linen & towels provided, log burner, c/h, TV/DVD, wifi, double oven, microwave, washer/drier, fridge/freezer, cot, high chair. Patio with BBQ. Off road parking, pets by arrangement.
Charming two bedroom 17th Century stone cottage in the heart of the conservation village, 2 min walk from safe sandy beach. Full of character including real fire but with all modern conveniences. Central heating, off road parking and private courtyard. Sleeps 4/5
The Bower Cottage provides luxury self-catering accommodation in a contemporary style. Originally built in the 1700’s this thatched cottage tells a thousand tales.
Spacious, detached property sleeping 8 people in 4 en-suite rooms 3x king size & 1 x twin. Bed linen and towels provided. Beach, restaurant & pub – 5 minutes walk. Pets by arrangement.
Overton Mere is a rocky plateau surrounded with hills rising high on three sides. The mere is filled with rock pools and a wide variety of birds can be seen swooping from the cliffs to the waters edge.
Salt House Mere is just next to the Salt House in Port Eynon.
Port Eynon Bay is one of the most popular beaches on Gower. It is easily accessible, no long walks. The car park is situated about a minute from the beach.
The church was founded during the 6th century by St. Cattwg’s missionary to Gower, St. Cennydd. The present building dates from the 12th century and was given to the Knights of St. John by Robert de la Mare around 1165.
Please view the area map below to get your bearings and familiarise yourself with the roads. The table shows the approximate travelling times by car, from Port Eynon, to the various villages.
Map of the Gower Peninsula
We typically send out our newsletter once a quarter, with special announcements as and when required. We operate a no-spam policy. Your details will never be given to any third-party company and you can unsubscribe at any time.